This course is a twelve week long project-based exploration into iOS mobile app development focusing on the design and implementation of RESTful API clients. Classes meet on campus twice a week for lab and working sessions. In the first half of the course, students develop skills by completing coding labs and building three fully functional app assignment projects. In the second half of the course students will apply their skills–working together in small teams–to design and and build an original app from the ground up. The course culminates in a Demo Day event where teams will present their finished apps in a live demo
This courses teaches iOS development in a project-based format over a 15-week period. Each week builds on the skills and knowledge from the previous week:
- Weekly App Assignment. A new mobile app is assigned to each student as an individual project.
- Code Review. We will briefly review each app and provide feedback on code.
- Labs. Students will practice pair-programming while working on app projects during class sessions once a week.
- Online Support. Students can post questions and get support through our Discussions System.
- Github Based Online Learning Portal. Students will have access to a custom learning portal with videos, code samples, and comprehensive documentation library.
- In-Person Class Sessions: Students meet in person twice a week in 2 hour sessions to complete labs, work on weekly assignment project apps and design and implement their final group project. Note: Session frequency and time may vary by college.
- Assignments: Each week, we will be building an iOS app that helps us reinforce and apply the concepts we introduce within the course. Expect the weekly apps to take anywhere from 5-10+ hours to complete each week outside of class. These projects will range from a basic movie reviews app to a full-featured Twitter Client.
- Group Project: In addition to the apps assigned each week, we will also have a collaborative course-wide project. The class will be broken up into groups of 3 students each, and every group will select a larger project to scope, design and build over the course of the class. At the end of the course, we will do a demo day showcasing all of these projects.